Palmer Lucky’s Virtual Reality Revolution
At 16, self-taught electronics enthusiast Palmer Lucky built his first headset. From there he has built Oculus VR, a multi-million dollar company that is changing the face of wearable virtual reality technology.
- Palmer Luckey describes himself as “self-taught” and says that he was homeschooled. Have you heard of homeschooling before? How do you think this learning environment might have helped him pursue his interest in electronics? What are ways that young people interested in electronics can pursue educating themselves?
- As a teenager, Palmer Luckey not only invented new electronics, but he also raised money via Kickstarter to start a new company. Have you ever heard of, or used, Kickstarter? How do you think Luckey’s story might be different had that online platform not existed? Can you think of other examples of online crowdsourcing tools that have had an impact on lives, businesses, or education?
- Based on this video, what do think virtual reality or “VR” is?
- Palmer Luckey provides examples of different industries that could be revolutionized by virtual reality. One of them is education. How do you think education could be changed or improved by virtual reality? How about other industries?
- According to this video, Luckey’s company, Oculus VR, was acquired by the social networking giant Facebook. How might interactions on social networks change when three-dimensional scenes are shared online in addition to two-dimensional photos and videos?
- Luckey says that virtual reality will “put people on an even playing field.” What do you think he means? What are other examples of technologies or ideas that “even the playing field?”
- Luckey claims that people love “impossible things” and that this is why, throughout history, epic tales have remained so popular. What do you think he means by an epic tale? Can you think of other examples of “impossible things” that have become possible through technology or innovation?
- As a closing activity, what story would you propose be told using virtual reality? In other words, if you could create your own virtual reality scenario or game, what would it be about? What would you first like to see using this technology?
This video exists as part of a series gathered around the theme of Entrepreneurship. Other videos in this series are listed below.