Elon Musk’s Journey to Mars
This serial entrepreneur and Smithsonian American Ingenuity Award winner plans to build a self-sustaining civilization on Mars.
- What two companies did Elon Musk help create before he also helped create SpaceX? Do you think Musk’s career qualifies him as an innovator? How else would you describe him?
- This video shares audio of an announcer talking about NASA turning to the private sector. What is the private sector, and why might this be a milestone for space exploration?
- Musk explains in the video that he thinks it is important to create a self-sustaining civilization on Mars. What does that mean? And why do you think someone like Musk would feel that this is important?
- Musk says that he enjoys working on engineering and design more so than finance and sales. How do you think he compensated for this bias? Does this tell you anything about entrepreneurship?
- Musk provides a timeline for when humans might travel to Mars. Do you agree with that timeline? For instance, what amazing leaps in technology have you witnessed in the past twenty years? Does that influence your reasoning?
- Was there a word in this story that you didn’t know? Please share it and let’s try and work out its meaning from the other words used around it.
- Does any part of Musk’s story relate to a personal experience in your life? Can you describe the connection between Musk’s story and your personal experience?
- This video closes by showing that Musk received an award for “ingenuity.” What does that word mean to you? What does “innovation” mean to you? Who are some other local and global innovators or entrepreneurs like Elon Musk?
This video exists as part of a series gathered around the theme of Entrepreneurship. Other videos in this series are listed below.